By Kathy Linehan from River Falls, WI on November 6, 2012
I had a chimney sweep company clean my fireplace yesterday. The person they sent was a very young man with two months' experience who proceeded to tell me in a very alarming way that I had third stage creosote, my fireplace was unsafe, and they could do a chemical treatment for $1200.
I was not pleased hearing this in the way I did from someone with no experience and felt it was a complete sales job. Would this product, or something else you might have, give us the ability to do this ourselves and be comfortable that our chimney is indeed safe?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on November 6, 2012
Answer:While I cannot speak to the creosote build up in your chimney, a $1200 quote for a chemical treatment to remove any buildup does sound very high. Typically, a product such as this Cre-Away brand modifier is used to dry out the accumulation and allow you to brush it away.
If there is indeed heavy buildup remaining in your chimney, my recommendation would be to use a modifier to remove it. However, I would definitely recommend inspecting the flue to ensure you do indeed have the excessive buildup that the sweep described.
By Kim Herron from Grand Rapids, MI on November 11, 2011
You illustrate the application sprayer with the Cre-Away. Does this come together as a package or does the application sprayer need to be purchased separate?
By Tyler M. - Fireplace Specialist on November 11, 2011