Pellet Vent Pro Installation Guide
PelletVent Pro venting system by Simpson Duravent is designed for stoves and inserts that use wood pellet and oil fuel. (Rated for continuous use flue temperatures up to 570° F.). As a result of Simpson Dura-Vent's cutting edge manufacturing process and commitment to innovation, PelletVent Pro is uncompromised in attention to detail and performance. No gaskets or sealants are required to achieve leak resistant connections (unless specified by the appliance manufacturer). This perfect fit and finish is made possible with laser-welded stainless steel inner walls and laser-welded galvalume outer walls.
PelletVent Pro venting systems are c-UL-us Listed to UL 641 (MH8381 and MH14420). ULC Listed to ULC S609, ULC/ORD C441 (CMH1439 and CMH1440).
Refer to the Typical Installation drawings below to select the appropriate component parts for your installation.
- The inner pipe diameter should match the outlet size of the appliance. For installations that require 4" vent and the appliance has a 3" outlet, use an Increaser Adapter 3"-4".
- Check the appliance manufacturer's installation instructions to confirm which types of vent configurations are permitted (i.e. horizontal, vertical, chimney reline, etc.). Also, check for any venting restrictions such as maximum horizontal run, minimum and maximum vertical rise, maximum offset, etc.
- Be fire safe! Maintain the minimum clearances (air-space) between the vent pipe and nearby combustibles, as specified in the appliance manufacturer's installation instructions. Use proper support and bracing. Follow local building codes and have your venting system inspected.
Planning Your Installation
- Refer to the Typical PelletVent Pro Installations diagram, on the opposite page, to be familiar with some of the standard PelletVent Pro installations and the required component parts.
- For a horizontal termination, you will need a Wall Thimble and a Round Horizontal Cap. The cap must be installed with a 6" clearance to the outside wall (refer to appliance manufacturer's installation instructions for other clearances).
- For a vertical termination, you will need a Cathedral Ceiling Support Box or Flat Ceiling Support, Attic Insulation Shield (if passing through an attic), Flashing, Storm Collar, and Vertical Cap.
- Determine the length of PelletVent Pro pipe required. For a vertical termination, measure the pitch of the roof and select the proper flashing. The required minimum height above the roof is 12".
- Pellet stove inserts in masonry fireplaces will require a flex pipe to snake the vent past the smoke shelf. For transition from PelletVent Pro to an existing DuraPlus, DuraPlus HTC, or DuraTech Chimney, a Chimney Adapter is available.
- For vertical rise of PelletVent Pro on the outside of the house, Wall Straps should be used at 4' intervals to provide proper support.
- Important! Check to be sure that the appliance and the venting system are in compliance with all minimum clearance to combustible requirements.
The following design recommendations are intended only as a general guideline to assist in the design and selection of venting components for your installation. Always read and follow Simpson Dura-Vent Installation instructions before installing your chimney system (found with the cap or support box). Installation instructions can be viewed online by downloading the manual on the item page.
- Size the vent to meet the appliance manufacturer's specifications.
- Avoid long runs and excessive use of elbows. Refer to the appliance manufacturer for minimum rise and maximum run configurations for the venting system.
- Use an Appliance Adapter to ensure a proper connection to the appliance. Seal adapter to appliance with high temperature sealant.
- Use a Single Tee with Clean-Out Tee Cap to facilitate easy cleaning. It is recommended to use a tee off the back of an appliance.
- In the United States, maintain the minimum 1" clearance* (air space) from vent pipe to combustibles. Use proper support and bracing. Follow local building codes and have your venting system inspected. Be fire safe! * In Canada, a 3" clearance is required to combustibles for pellet burning appliances.