Free shipping
Low Price
View Cart

    Chimneys & Venting

    Have Questions About Chimneys & Venting?

    Select Type

    Need replacement chimney parts for chimney repair? Or need to perform routine chimney flue maintenance, we offer everything you could need to keep your fireplace running smoothly. We have a wide selection of chimney caps, flue pipe caps, stove pipe caps, and chimney liners to fit any stove or fireplace. If you need maintenance supplies, also check out our vast options of brushes, cleaners, sealants, and more! Don't get caught unprepared, stock up on these great products and receive free shipping for orders over $99!

    Different types of fireplaces require unique cleaning processes and products. Depending on the kind of hearth appliance you have, the selection will change. If you have any questions about what is best suited for your needs, don't be afraid to contact our NFI certified technicians!

    With wood-burning stoves and fireplaces, creosote will build up in the chimney. Creosote is a sticky residue that adheres to the inside of the firebox and chimneys and often associated with higher pollution rate. The buildup is usually caused by using firewood with a high concentration of resin or wet firewood. If you are dealing with first or second stage creosote, check out our chimney brushes and cleaners to find what you need to take care of the mess.

    Although maintaining pellet and gas stoves is much simpler than the wood-burning variety, consistency is the key to keeping it straightforward. It is recommended that you perform an in-depth inspection annually. As a note, unless you are very familiar with the parts and operation, it is a good idea to hire a professional to do this job. In addition, you should regularly empty the firebox and clear out any dust or soot; also, make sure that the door is secure to avoid leaking carbon monoxide into your home!

    Articles You May Also Like...

    Chimneys & Venting Q&A with the NFI Certified Specialists

    * Please Note: All customer questions are answered by our NFI Certified Specialists free of charge!
    24 Questions & 24 Answers
    from Florida asked:
    December 4, 2021
    I have an open porch. I would like to place my potbellied stove near the edge of the porch, is there a way to vent the stove without putting a hole in the ceiling?
    1 Answer
    Unfortunately, you will need to vent the stove up through the ceiling.
    Submitted by: Brennan W. on December 5, 2021

    from Maryland asked:
    October 2, 2021
    Is it recommended to insulate chimney liners to my wood stove insert?
    1 Answer
    Yes, it is recommended to insulate around a stainless steel liner for optimum performance. We would recommend a kit such as this: 6 inch x 25-ft. Super Wrap Chimney Liner Insulation Kit
    Submitted by: Tyler M. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on October 4, 2021

    from Kenmore NY asked:
    December 30, 2020
    Can freestanding gas stoves be directly vented into a chimney?
    1 Answer
    Certain stove models will allow this installation with certain adaptors necessary. You will need to verify this installation in your installation manual for that stove.
    Submitted by: Aaron D. on December 31, 2020

    from Columbus, MS asked:
    December 22, 2020
    How many 90 degree elbows are allowed in a 12-foot run of 6-inch chimney pipe?
    1 Answer
    Zero 90 elbows are allowed in a chimney. One can be used in the connector and a cleanout tee can be used at the bottom of the chimney. Above the tee you are limited to smaller angle offsets. Local code will have a specification, but 30 angles or less are recommended.
    Submitted by: Nevins P. on December 23, 2020

    from Tryon, NC asked:
    October 24, 2020
    The inside roof is filled with open-cell foam. How do I install the chimney of a high-efficiency wood-burning stove through the roof?
    1 Answer
    Most class A chimney pipes used with wood stoves require a 2-inch clearance around the outside; you will need to ensure this clearance is maintained when going through your roof deck, then you can use a roof flashing for the top side and use sheet metal to flash the underside.
    Submitted by: Tyler M. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on October 26, 2020

    Charles D
    July 13, 2020
    For an oil-heated appliance, should I replace my rotted chimney cap with aluminum or should it be steel?
    1 Answer
    Stainless Steel is the recommended material for the termination cap on an oil-fired appliance. You can find the different caps the offer here.
    Submitted by: Aaron D. on July 14, 2020

    from New Castle, DE asked:
    May 21, 2020

    How do you measure the size of a chimney cap?

    1 Answer
    If you have round pipe the caps are sold by the inside diameter and also based on whether the pipe is air cooled or solid packed with insulation. If you have a single flue the cap is sized according to the outside dimensions. If you are trying to cover more than one flue you would look at our multi-flue caps and the screen height should be a minimum of six inches above the tallest flue.
    Submitted by: Kathy O. on May 22, 2020

    Tim L
    from Helmville, MT asked:
    April 15, 2020

    Is there a specific mortar to use for patching and is it the same mortar for a complete redo?

    1 Answer

    Yes, you would use <a href="https://www.efireplacestore.com/rut-211.html">refractory motar</a>.

    Submitted by: Owen O. on April 16, 2020

    from Rogue River, OR asked:
    March 29, 2020
    How do I know if I need a vented or unvented gas stove?
    1 Answer
    You will need to check with your local building inspector to determine if vent-free units are allowed in your area.
    Submitted by: Kathy O. on March 31, 2020

    Phil S.
    from Merrfield, MN. asked:
    February 4, 2020

    How far can the vent travel horizontally before needing to go up through the roof? Also, does the chimney come in any color other than black?

    1 Answer
    On direct vent units, it depends on the model. Each has a minimum vertical and maximum horizontal ratio. The pipe also comes in galvanized, too. 
    Submitted by: Owen O. on February 4, 2020

    Penn C.
    from Winston-Salem, NC asked:
    January 27, 2020
    Fireplace smoke guards - 4",6", etc - all seemed to max out at 48".  Do you have one that goes to 50" for inside insert or 60" to bolt on the front of bricks?
    1 Answer
    Our product does not go larger than 48". You may need to consult a metal fabricator to build a smoke guard.
    Submitted by: Brian L. on January 28, 2020

    Chuck B.
    from Poplarville, MS asked:
    December 18, 2019

    Do you have to install a chimney liner when you get an insert? Why won't it work with a regular chimney?

    1 Answer
    A stainless steel liner is indeed required when installing a woodburning fireplace insert. The reason is that the inserts are so efficient, they must have a dedicated flue connection from the insert to the top of the chimney to maintain proper draft and flow.  Otherwise, you will struggle to keep fire lit and the door may need to be opened. This is not ideal for operation and impacts efficiently greatly.
    Submitted by: Tyler M. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on December 18, 2019

    Mark M.
    from Temecula, CA asked:
    December 14, 2019
    I need to replace the gasket behind the pilot, on and off knob. The gasket seats the the sections between the valve and body. I cannot find a replacement and was wondering if using material like a tire inner tube would work?
    1 Answer
    We do not recommend trying to use other materials to replace these parts. We recommend contacting your unit's manufacturer for details on what you may be able to do.
    Submitted by: Tyler M. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on December 16, 2019

    Michael M.
    November 20, 2019
    What is a thimble, and what does it do?
    1 Answer
    It allows the safe passage of venting pipe through a wall.
    Submitted by: Owen O. on November 21, 2019

    Max P.
    from British Columbia, CAN asked:
    November 8, 2019
    I have bought a wood-burning fireplace WCT2042WS and there were no instructions regarding the chimney installation and the clearances. Could you please give me that info?

    1 Answer
    Submitted by: Will M. on November 8, 2019

    Patricia F.
    from Charlotte, NC asked:
    September 16, 2019
    We recently bought a house that has a ventless gas fireplace and whenever we use it there is a terrible smell, almost like gas. The gas company checked and there is no leak and stated the smell is because it's ventless. Is there any way to vent this fireplace?
    1 Answer
    Unfortunately, ventless systems may not be vented. If you have natural gas, I recommend having the system serviced and cleaned as this may eliminate the odor. If not, certain types of ventless systems are more prone to producing odor than others, so the only option might be complete replacement.
    Submitted by: Will M. on September 17, 2019

    from Ft Collins, CO asked:
    August 30, 2019

    What kind of pipe vent do I need for a wood-burning stove?

    1 Answer
    If your clearance to a combustible wall is 18 inches or greater you can use single wall black stove pipe, and those are available in 24 and 22 gauge.  If your clearance is less than 18 inches, but greater than 6 inches to the wall, you would need to use the double wall black stove pipe.  That pipe would terminate just before a wall or ceiling and you would then transfer to the chimney components.
    Submitted by: Kathy O. on September 4, 2019

    from Rocklin, CA asked:
    March 21, 2018
    Where can I find Temco fireplace replacement pipe? Had a chimney fire. Need 22 feet. Model #TCH4125 serial #AF291082
    1 Answer
    Unfortunately, we do not have any Temco chimney available as this company has been out of business for quite some time and all stock of their manufacturer-specific chimney lengths have been depleted.
    Submitted by: Will M. on March 22, 2018

    from Bellingham, WA asked:
    February 24, 2018
    I bought a used gas fireplace/stove that came with more chimney vent pipe than I will need to install in my manufactured home. The double wall vent pipe chimney is 7" diameter with a 4" pipe inside. The chimney will go through the ceiling and then through the roof. I believe it will be exactly vertical from the stove through the roof with no bends. Can you tell me what to look for in your store for a piece to keep the vent pipe away from the ceiling and going through the 4" of insulation above?
    1 Answer
    That would be an Attic shield
    Submitted by: Owen O. on February 26, 2018

    from Denver, CO asked:
    January 31, 2018
    what venting parts are needed for the mirage outdoor with BBQ
    1 Answer
    If you are referring the the Mirage Stone line of outdoor fireplaces we offer, these should not be connected to any chimney system and should simply be placed at least 10' away from a home or structure and not underneath any sort of covering.
    Submitted by: Will M. on January 31, 2018

    from WA asked:
    November 5, 2017
    I am constructing a class B-type flue system for a Williams furnace 6551921. I plan to place it on top of a wooden room in my all metal RV barn. It is 60" to the metal roof and I have obtained 7' of B-type exhaust piping. Is there any recommendation on how to deal with the area where the flue pipe goes through the metal roof?
    1 Answer
    If you are going through a metal roof without contact to combustibles along the way, then you only need to cut out a hole with the proper clearance required for your pipe as listed by manufacturer. Above the roof, you will need a flashing, storm collar, and cap.
    Submitted by: Kelsey C. on November 6, 2017

    from Wenatchee, WA asked:
    June 29, 2017
    I have a direct-vent gas fireplace and live in a very snowy area. Is there a vertical chimney cap designed for heavy snow, or do I need to use a horizontal vent cap? Thank you.
    1 Answer
    On Direct Vent unit you have the choice to either vent the unit vertically or horizontally. In a heavy snow area you will have to watch for high build up of snow on the roof which can also block the cap. Some units have a horizontal "snorkel termination" that also may help your situation.
    Submitted by: Owen on June 29, 2017

    from NJ asked:
    November 12, 2014
    Do all FMI fireplaces have to have a damper installed?
    1 Answer
    Yes, that is correct. Fortunately, most of our FMI manufactured woodburning fireplaces have a pre-installed damper included.
    Submitted by: Tyler M. on November 12, 2014

    from Bangor, PA asked:
    November 28, 2012
    I need to discus my chimney setup.
    1 Answer
    If you need chimney pipe or stove pipe and are not sure exactly what you need, please complete the Chimney Pipe Design & Quote Form. One of our fireplace specialists will design your chimney installation for you. We will send you a quote via the email that you provide. Most installation designs and quotes will be sent within 1-2 business days.
    Submitted by: Magan B. on November 28, 2012

    Top Brands of Chimneys & Venting

    Customer Images of Chimneys & Venting

    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_12660.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_12977.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_13575.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_42049.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_43975.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_44386.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_44483.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_44575.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_44828.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_45141.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_45778.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_45782.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_45976.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_45992.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_45993.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_46075.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_46672.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_47005.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_47011.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_47126.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_47304.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_47357.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_48222.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_48322.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_48373.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_48473.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_48502.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_49310.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_49342.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_49479.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_49760.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_49764.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_49765.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_49812.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_49831.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_49878.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_49924.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_49925.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_49926.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_50070.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_50079.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_50080.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_50293.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_50635.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_50659.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_50704.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_50975.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_50976.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_50977.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_51026.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_51433.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_51456.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_51534.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_51613.jpg
    • Chimneys & Venting
    • https://edpubfiles.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/efireplacestore/images/customerimages/efspr_51653.jpg
    Need Help?
    Sign Up for our Newsletter

    Find the Right Gas Logs
    For Your Fireplace

    Gas Log Calculator Gas Log Calculator
    Back to Top

    Let Our Experts Design
    Your Venting System

    Free Venting Design and Quote Free Venting Design and Quote
    Sign-up for our Email!
    Enter your email for new arrivals and special offers.