Free shipping
Low Price
View Cart

    Vestal Rotary-Style Damper Control

    List Price: $79.99
    Sale Price: $66.28
    You Save: $13.71 (17%)
    In Stock.
    * Usually Ships Same Business Day.
    • Rotary-style damper control
    • Easier to use than standard poker models
    • 19" length
    See complete product details >>
    Product Details
    Manufacturer: Vestal
    Part Number: 15-001
    eFireplaceStore Item Number: CPF-26290


    • Rotary-style damper control
    • Easier to use than standard poker models
    • 19" length
    * Please Note: This damper control is designed for use on Vestal dampers. It may not work on other brands.

    The damper controls the draft and seals off the chimney when the fireplace is not in use. If the control mechanism for your Vestal damper is broken, or if you currently have a poker-style control that you would like to change, this rotary-style control may be the ideal replacement. The rotary control is easier to use than a standard poker control and more precisely controls the opening. This rotary control measures 19" in length.
    Customer Questions & Answers
    30 Questions & 29 Answers
    Andrew Dranchak
    from Indianapolis, IN asked:
    February 9, 2012
    The handle at the end of my damper control just spins and does not actually turn the rod. It just spins on the end of the rod. Also, we are wanting to refinish the surface of the fire place so is there any way to extend the lengh of the damper control so that it patrudes further out from the brick? Do I need a replacement control rod?
    1 Answers
    Likely, the inside of the knob has simply become stripped and it no longer will make contact with the control rod. To fix this and prepare it for your renovation, you would need to add length to the rod and replace the knob. It sounds as if your best bet would be to replace that control. Our control has an overall length of 19". Not knowing the length of your control, I'm unsure whether or not this option will provide the additional length needed.
    Kevin E. - Fireplace Specialist
    on February 9, 2012

    from MN asked:
    September 19, 2017
    What is the size of the rod that holds the worm gear in place?
    1 Answers
    The control rod for this kit is 19" long.
    Brennan W.
    on September 19, 2017

    from NV asked:
    May 20, 2017
    Where can I get a knob for the end of the rotary fireplace damper handle? Thank you.
    1 Answers
    Unfortunately, we do not offer replacement knobs or handles for the Vestal controls we offer.
    Will M.
    on May 22, 2017

    from Commack, NY asked:
    January 24, 2017
    Based on the dimensions that I gave you for the opening, what size replacement damper would do the work?
    1 Answers
    The closest damper we would have for you would be the Vestal 36 Inch Cast Iron Throat-Style Fireplace Damper.
    Brennan W.
    on January 25, 2017

    from NY asked:
    January 24, 2017
    My metal dampener rotted away and the vestal rotary-style dampener control rod is bent and missing the turning mechanism on the rod. The dimensions of the opening fit the missing dampener: 27.5" wide x 5 3/4" high. What do I need to replace this mechanism? Thank you.
    1 Answers
    Unfortunately, we would only be able to offer complete replacement of the damper control and we can only verify that the damper plates we offer will work with the complete Vestal damper assemblies we also offer.
    Will M.
    on January 24, 2017

    from Massachusetts asked:
    November 15, 2016
    We currently have a rotary style damper control on our brick masonry fireplace. We are refacing the fireplace with granite. Is it possible to remove the rotary style damper control and replace it with a poker style damper control, without changing the damper itself? It seems as though it is possible to go from a poker style to a rotary style, so I am wondering if the inverse is also true?

    from New England asked:
    February 4, 2016
    I'm interested in specifying this for a fireplace in a new home we're building. How many complete turns of the knob does it take to fully open/close the damper?
    1 Answers
    Per the manufacturer, this will depend on the size of the damper, but it will not exceed 8 turns.
    Brennan W.
    on February 4, 2016

    from Moultonborough, NH asked:
    January 4, 2016
    Does the rotary knob come in different finishes?
    1 Answers
    Unfortunately, this knob does not come in any other finishes.
    Brennan W.
    on January 5, 2016

    from NJ asked:
    March 18, 2015
    I have a vestal rotary style control for my damper. The handle has been broken off. I am able to rotate the control with a needle nose pliers but I cannot pull the control rod out. I learned that there may be "a set screw or screws" holding it in place, but I am unable to locate them, if they do indeed exist. There are two holes in the "worm" but I do not see screws on/in them. How do I get the old control rod out? Could it be rusted in place?
    1 Answers
    There is indeed a set screw that is present in the forward drilled hole of the worm gear that the control rod passes through. Unfortunately, the screw can indeed rust in place over years of use. The are only two ways to remove the assembly if the screw is rusted or stuck. The first would be to use a pair of locking pliers to clamp down hard on the control rod outside the fireplace. With the pliers locked and after bracing yourself, pull out as hard as possible. If the rod frees itself, you can then disassemble the remainder of the control from inside the fireplace. If the rod will not come loose, the other option is to cut the control rod inside the fireplace. A good pair of side cutters would be needed to do this. After cutting the rod, you can then remove the pin holding the damper arm to the damper plate. This will allow you to slide the old worm gear and rod out of position.
    on March 18, 2015

    from laconia, NH asked:
    November 9, 2014
    My cotter key connecting the control arm to my damper broke off. Is it possible to purchase a cotter key? If not, what would be a suitable replacement?
    1 Answers
    A stainless steel cotter pin can be used to repair the damper assembly. Most home improvement stores will carry such an item in the specialty hardware section of the store.
    on November 10, 2014

    from Winnipeg, CAN asked:
    November 6, 2014
    How does this control attach to the damper?
    1 Answers
    You can see a diagram of how the damper control is attached by clicking here.
    Brennan W.
    on November 6, 2014

    from Hershey, PA asked:
    September 14, 2014
    The set screw to our Rotary Style Damper has been lost. It appears to take a 1/4-20 set screw. Is this correct?
    1 Answers
    Per the manufacturer, it is indeed a 1/4-20 set screw. Length is listed at 3/8 of an inch.
    on September 16, 2014

    from Taunton, MA asked:
    December 20, 2013
    I'm checking to see if the rotary control would be applicable to my unit. I have attached photos for you to see. Can you tell me?
    1 Answers
    That does indeed appear to be a rotary damper control. The control rod in this kit is 19 inches long and uses a worm gear and rod connection inside the fireplace. As long as your current system is set up in the same way, this should work for you.
    Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional
    on December 20, 2013

    from Denver, Colorado asked:
    November 30, 2013
    I am remodeling an older home with a wood burning fireplace. It has a damper control as pictured above. I believe that the damper works correctly but the knob is missing. Can I buy just the knob? It would be nice if it were in a brushed nickel finish. The rod is square and measures just a tad over one 1/8th of an inch.
    1 Answers
    Unfortunately, the manufacturer does not sell just the knob for this kit. The control rod that is keyed for a 1/4 control rod, so the knob would not offer a proper fit in this case anyway. It may be necessary to replace the entire setup and paint the knob with a high temperature nickel paint to get the desired appearance.
    Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional
    on December 2, 2013

    from Laurel, MD asked:
    August 30, 2013
    Do you carry a rotary damper plate ?
    1 Answers
    The vestal damper plates that we carry are drilled for use with a rotary damper control, as well as the standard poker control. I will be happy to assist you in selecting the proper plate, if you have the dimensions of the damper opening available.
    Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional
    on September 3, 2013

    luis rodrigues
    from New Bedford, MA asked:
    February 22, 2013
    Will a manual vestal damper work with a rotary control?
    1 Answers
    Yes. Vestal dampers throats and plates are manufactured with a pass-through for the control rod of the rotary damper control. The rotary control attaches in the same location as the pivot arm for the manual control.
    Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional
    on February 22, 2013

    from Lexington, Mass. asked:
    January 12, 2013
    We have a rotary damper control, and the handle has broken off the control rod. I don't know the manufacturer of our damper--but I'm sure it dates from the early 1950s when our house was built. I'd like to know if we can replace our control with this Vestal model. I've attached a picture of ours. The worm gear itself is about 5" long. The elbow piece that attaches the worm gear to the cotter pin is about 2.5" on the diagonal, and 3" on the part that runs parallel to the worm gear. The total length of our control rod is something between 18 and 22 inches. Please let me know if you think the vestal damper control could replace this one, and any adjustments or drilling that you think I might need, thanks.
    1 Answers
    It is possible that the control rod from the Vestal product may work with your current setup, but I cannot say for sure. The most important measurement will be that of the control rod width. There is a square key way cut into the worm gear that allows the rod to slide through and rotate the gear. If the control rod is not the same size as the Vestal product, the entire assembly would need to be replaced. The Vestal Rod is 19 inches in length.
    Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional
    on January 14, 2013

    anthony flex
    from Ohio asked:
    December 10, 2012
    I have a poker style that I want to replace with rotary. Do I need to replace the plate or drill any holes in it to mount the back of the new rotary control? I realize I need to drill the face.
    1 Answers
    Vestal damper throats will come with a hole already drilled through the front facing, allowing you to feed the control rod through and attach the worm gear and linkage. If you do not have a Vestal brand throat, you will likely need to drill a hole that will allow you to insert the control rod.
    Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional
    on December 10, 2012

    Michel Prevost
    from Quebec, Canada asked:
    November 15, 2012
    The length of my damper control is more then 24". Will this one work to replace mine?
    1 Answers
    This rotary damper control could still work for your needs; however, you would need to extend the damper control rod in some way. It would be possible to weld an extension into place or use a stainless steel machine bushing with a properly sized key way to extend the rod.
    Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional
    on November 16, 2012

    Scott Cullen
    from Massachusetts asked:
    November 7, 2012
    I have a rotary style damper control and just purchased a glass door insert for my fire place. The insert adds a depth of 1.5 inches. Can I use the existing rod for the installation? If so, is it okay to pull the handle and rod and will it go back into the collar easily?
    1 Answers
    As long as the existing damper rod is physically long enough for the additional depth added by the doors, it can certainly be used again. It may be necessary to have an assistant line up the worm gear and the rod in order to get the rod to reinsert into position. The worm gear may drop down out of position when the rod is removed.
    Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional
    on November 8, 2012

    from Ofallon, IL asked:
    October 27, 2012
    Do you offer a replacement tube and knob for the vestal rotary style damper control?
    1 Answers
    Unfortunately, this manufacturer does not offer individual replacement parts. The rotary control is only sold as a complete assembly. I apologize for any inconvenience.
    Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional
    on October 29, 2012

    John M. Panikiewsky Sr.
    from Carteret, NJ asked:
    October 27, 2012
    I am trying to reconstruct a rotary damper control assembly. The control rod is 19 inches long and appears to be 4 to 5 inches too short (preferably 24 inch long control rod) to reach the rear wall bearing assembly. Is there a control rod available at this length? If not, do you have a suggestion for repair?
    1 Answers
    Unfortunately, we do not offer a control rod beyond the 19 inch version that is part of this Vestal kit. My best suggestion would be to purchase a length of steel bar stock at a local hardware or metal supply store. The bar could then be cut down to length for your installation.
    Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional
    on October 29, 2012

    greg westnedge
    from Parkesburg, PA asked:
    October 19, 2012
    Does the Vestal Rotary-Style Damper Control come with the yokes? It seems mine have rusted away and one side is broken in half.
    1 Answers
    Per the manufacturer, the attachment yoke is indeed part of this set.
    Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional
    on October 22, 2012

    Les Mau
    from Minot, North Dakota asked:
    October 1, 2012
    I have a house that was built in 1942. It has a wood fireplace. It went through a severe flood 1.5 years ago and the damper control knob was lost in the subsequent mud out/tear out. The damper is a rotary type. The control shaft is 3/8 inches across with one side flattened. Do you know where I can find a replacement knob?
    1 Answers
    Unfortunately, Vestal does not sell just the knob by itself. They advise that the knob will come crimped to the control rod itself and this is the only way it is sold. They did advise that a control rod can be purchased individually, with the knob attached. However, their rod measures closer to 1/4", so I cannot guarantee that it would offer a good fit to your existing components. It may be a better idea to replace the control in its entirety to ensure proper functionality.
    Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional
    on October 3, 2012

    Ron Arterburn
    from Brownsburg IN asked:
    September 20, 2012
    I have a Vestal rotary control and the collar came off the worm gear. I have ordered a new control, but how do I keep that earlier problem from happening in the future? What locks the rod into the lid so it can't come out of the tube and faceplate?
    1 Answers
    There will be a set screw that is provided with this new assembly, which will need to be loosely threaded into the predrilled hole in the very front of the worm gear, towards the knob. Once the assembly is attached to the damper door, the set screw can be tightened. The worm gear should bottom out against the masonry on the back side, and the screw will prevent the arm from coming detached on the front.
    Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional
    on September 21, 2012

    Ron Arterburn
    from Brownsburg IN asked:
    September 20, 2012
    Are installation instructions included with this item?
    1 Answers
    Yes, installation instructions will be included with this item.
    Tyler M. - Fireplace Specialist
    on September 20, 2012

    Scott Hutchison
    from Baltimore, MD asked:
    April 7, 2012
    I have a rotary style damper in my fireplace, which we just remodeled with a stone veneer. The handle rod will not reach the actual control with the additional profile of the stone. While I knew this before the remodel, I did not realize it would be difficult to locate a new handle. The existing one is 13" long, not including the handle, and is a square 9/32" on a side. What is the length and shape of the handle for this damper control that you have on sale? If it is adequate (I think I'd need at least 15" long with very close to the same square shape and size), I would buy the entire control to get the handle.
    1 Answers
    This unit has an overall length of 19". Unfortunately, the handle on this control is only about 5" long. I do not believe that this item will help you in your remodel.
    Kevin E. - Fireplace Specialist
    on April 11, 2012

    Amir Degany
    from Stoughton, Massachusetts asked:
    April 1, 2012
    We bought a house with a fireplace that has a vestal rotary style damper control, but it does not work because the collar walked out of the worm, and the assembly may be bent. Can it be fixed? How should I remove it? Do you recommend on buying a new one? Do you have installation instructions for the vestal rotary damper control?
    1 Answers
    The easiest and best option would be to simply replace that control. Even if you were able to get the collar back onto the worm gear, it will likely pop back off, especially if the unit is bent. A set screw holds the shaft assembly to the worm gear. Loosening this screw will allow you to remove the shaft from the gear. The gear can then be removed from the damper plate and a replacement assembly can be installed. Unfortunately, we do not list any installation instructions for this item.
    Kevin E. - Fireplace Specialist
    on April 2, 2012

    from Ohio asked:
    December 6, 2011
    I have a poker style and want to replace it with a rotary style. What is the installation process (drilling, sealing)?
    1 Answers
    A poker style can be swapped out for a rotary style. You will indeed need to drill a hole through the face of your fireplace to install the rotary style. No sealant will be required.
    Kevin E. - Fireplace Specialist
    on December 6, 2011

    Jennifer Hopkins
    from Chesapeake va asked:
    November 1, 2011
    I have this type of damper control at the face of my fireplace. I'd like to face my fireplace in stone, however and need to bring the control out so it is flush with the new material. Is this type of control adjustable, or is there an extension or longer arm that can be purchased?
    1 Answers
    I have not come across one of these that is adjustable. However, they are available in different lengths. This one has an overall length of 19".
    Kevin E.
    on November 2, 2011

    Customer Reviews
    2 Reviews
    50% (1)
    50% (1)
    0% (0)
    0% (0)
    0% (0)
    100% Recommend this product (2 of 2 responses)
    By Randy Wilson from Cincinnati, Ohio on October 17, 2014
    I would recommend this item to a friend.
    good design
    has fitted up every time when used as a replacement. When using it on older units have had to modify it a little in order to make it work.
    Proseasy to use as a replacement
    Conslarger than older versions
    By Nellie Tucker from Talihina, OK on August 17, 2012
    I would recommend this item to a friend.
    Rotary style damper control
    My fireplace builder recommended it as the best.
    ProsWill keep damper shut

    Let Our Experts Design
    Your Venting System


    Find the Right Gas Logs
    For Your Fireplace

    Sign-up for our Email!
    Enter your email for new arrivals and special offers.