Free shipping
Low Price
View Cart

Wood Burning Fireplaces

Wood burning fireplaces are amongst the oldest tools for heating a home, but that doesn't mean that they are obsolete. New technological advances have made these home accessories more efficient, simpler to maintain, and much easier to use. You'll also find that wood burning fireplaces are no longer restricted to one type of traditional style; some models are designed to resemble old-fashioned fireplaces, but even more feature totally contemporary looks. We even carry modern see-thru and peninsula units.
Related Articles
Ask & Answer
Ask a Specialist
See all 62 Products
By Susan from Provo, UT on October 2, 2014
We are building a new home and the outside chimney has been framed in. We have been advised to put in a gas fireplace as they are not allowing wood fires, most of the time, in our area. We have decided to put in a gas fireplace but what can we do with the chimney to prepare for a wood stove if there was an emergency and we needed to burn wood as gas was not available?
By eFireplaceStore on October 3, 2014

In order to use a fireplace with both fuels, you would need to install a prefabricated wood burning fireplace, then install a set of vented or vent free gas logs. Traditional B-vent and direct vent gas fireplaces are unable to be converted to wood and wood burning inserts and stoves are unable to be used with gas.

By Justin from Eastern PA on January 27, 2013
I want a ZC wood fireplace with forced air option. I also like the idea of using a gas fire starter. It seems to be one or the other. Do you carry one?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on January 28, 2013

Many of the open faced models we carry can be equipped with a log lighter, however they are not an efficient source of supplemental heat. They do offer a blower to supplement circulation, but do not have a forced air heating option. All sealed units that do have the forced air option do not have provisions for a log lighter. This is mainly due to the very high temperatures that can be achieved with this type of unit. I apologize that we do not offer a unit with both options.

By Kevin from Magalia, CA on October 20, 2014
I am interested in a zero clearance wood burning fireplace that could work for a 2000 sq ft area. The original wood burning fireplace was removed and the space was walled over. My chimney and 8" pipe is still in place. What would you recommend?
By eFireplaceStore on October 21, 2014

We have several units that could heat the area you have, while maintaining close clearance to combustibles. A popular seller is the Superior WCT6820 Signature Series EPA Phase II Circulating Wood-Burning Fireplace. Unfortunately, the existing pipe would have to be removed and replaced with 6 inch diameter Security chimney. As with most units on the market, the piping is very manufacturer specific.

By Phil from MI on March 14, 2014
I am looking for a fireplace that will vent through a new masonry chimney. What is available?
By Tyler M. - NFI Certified Specialist on March 17, 2014

If you have a full masonry fireplace, we recommend any of our woodburning fireplace inserts, which are designed to be installed inside an existing brick fireplace. Please see our full selection below:

Woodburning Fireplace Inserts

By Doug from Eufaula, AL on October 14, 2013
I'm looking to replace the brick panels (3 of them) in my 36 inch wood burning fireplace. Do you have those?
By Tyler M. - NFI Certified Specialist on October 15, 2013

Yes, we do offer some universal refractory panels that will work for your woodburning fireplace. Please see the following links:

One 24"h x 28"w Panel

Two 24" h x 40"w Panels

These panels are about 3/4" thick and can be cut down to the size you need with a masonry blade or tile saw. They are suitable for use as side, rear and floor panels inside any manufactured woodburning fireplace.

By Brian from Napa, CA on March 1, 2014
Which of your wood burning fireplaces are approved in CA?
By Tyler M. - NFI Certified Specialist on March 3, 2014

Depending on your local code, you may need a fully EPA certified fireplace, such as the Flame Monaco XTD EPA woodburning Fireplace, or you may be able to use any of the fireplaces on the EPA list of cleaner fireplaces. If that is the case, we have a few other models you may prefer with an open-faced look and large viewing area.

By Evon from Grapevine, TX on September 10, 2014
How does your 36 inch radiant Vantage model compare to the FMI Bungalow model?
By eFireplaceStore on September 11, 2014

The two units are essentially the same. Vantage Hearth and FMI were sister companies, which are now being reorganized under the IHP product line. The units only feature different manufacturer names due to the fact that different contractors and dealers work with certain brand names. As such, we offer both to be able to fill as much demand as possible.

By Bill Kohls from Temperance, MI on November 10, 2012
Do all fireplace inserts require a grate?
By Kevin E. - Fireplace Specialist on November 12, 2012

The use of a grate is completely up to you. Grates do aide in air circulation which can lend to easier starting fires. However, traditional inserts, those full-bodied appliances that are installed into masonry fireplaces, do not normally accept grates.

By Richard from Chelsea, Alabama on November 12, 2013
Do you sell a fireplace that would be suitable to put a wood stove in?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on November 13, 2013

While we do carry several manufactured fireplaces that can be used in conjunction with wood burning inserts, we do not carry a model that can be utilized with a free standing wood stove. The manufactured units are not able to deal with the extra height and are not listed for this installation. Only a large masonry fireplace would be suitable for this application.

By el from Jacksonville, FL on November 10, 2012
I am replacing my Heatilator E-36 with your FMI Bungalow 36. My chimney pipe is 8 inches - is it going to work?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on November 12, 2012

Unfortunately, the FMI pipe that the Bungalow uses and the Heatilator pipe that you currently have will not be compatible with one another. It would be necessary to replace the existing chimney system with the proper FMI 8DM line of piping.

By Jack from Jenison, MI on January 25, 2016
What brand of fireplaces use the same chimney systems as wood burning Majestic units use?
By eFireplaceStore on January 25, 2016

Majestic units used their own proprietary brand of chimney. Only brands within the Majestic house of products could use their chimney system, which included Monessen and Equus. These other brands are no longer producing vented products however.

By George from Eagle River, WI on January 7, 2016
We have a VC42L1 fireplace that was manufactured by DESA. We would like to replace the brass glass door with a black glass door. The unit says to use a BD42B door only. Is there a black door available?
By Will M. on January 7, 2016

The black doors are available here.

By James from Boulder, Colorado on November 19, 2013
We live in Boulder, Colorado and are considering buying a high efficiency wood insert to go into our existing masonry fireplace. That all seems straightforward enough, however, I'm wondering about the efficiency rating. Are the models you sell tested and rated at sea level or do you have any units/options rated for altitude? We are at 5500 feet here and I am aware, from having recently purchased a furnace, that a unit rated at sea level will perform significantly less at altitude and that a unit rated for altitude is needed. Can you help me figure this out?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on November 19, 2013

Gas appliances will indeed be derated significantly when used at higher altitudes. Above 4,500 feet, it is necessary to change the main burner orifice to allow for the altitude change.

For wood burning appliances, the change in altitude does not have as much of an effect. BTU ratings are slightly less, as there is less oxygen to fuel the fire, but manufacturers do not produce wood stoves and inserts that are built specifically for altitude. The only thing to consider is that the chimney may need to be extended a bit further than an insert at sea level, as stoves burned at high altitudes seem to perform better with the taller chimney.

By Doug from MN on December 11, 2013
What do you have available in a low cost EPA Phase II-certified fireplace?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on December 11, 2013

One of the lowest cost options that we have to offer that meets Phase II guidelines is the Timberwolf 2100 Economizer EPA Wood Burning Stove. This stove has been an excellent seller for us and is a low maintenance, easy to operate model.

By Stephen from Boulder, CO on December 2, 2014
I have a wood burning fireplace that is 33" wide and 27.5" tall. I would like to have a glass door front with a fan/blower to send out more heat than I'd get with the radiant from a plain glass door. Do you sell anything like this?
By eFireplaceStore on December 3, 2014

The setup you are requesting will require a couple of different components. The door assembly is the Textured Black Princeton Glass Enclosure. The 36 inch wide by 29 inch tall frame would work for you. The other component is the Stoll 22 in. W x 20 in. D Grate Heater for Woodburning Applications. The heat exchanger and blower assembly for the grate heater are hidden inside the fireplace opening, with the riser bar placed beneath the door assembly. This allows air interchange to the room, while limiting the amount of air pulled up the chimney.

By Jennifer from Chestertown, Maryland on January 20, 2013
We bought a house with a Martin Model SA42 insert and the brick firewall is badly cracked. I thought about finding parts for it, but was wondering what would be the best way to replace the whole thing? It has vents so I am assuming it is a circulating one. Also, If I do replace it, do I have to get a blower or does the circulating type come with one? How do I know what kind of glass doors to get and can I burn it with the doors shut? We have not used it at all because we are afraid to with that crack. We don't know anything about these fireplaces and no one we know has anything like it, so we don't know where to go from here. We live in Chestertown Maryland and don't know of any place nearby that sells these. Any assistance would be appreciated!
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on January 21, 2013

Most manufactured fireplaces, such as your SA42, use the refractory panels largely for decoration. The panels will mount to a metal chassis that seals the unit and covers a built in air space. Only if one of the panels is crumbling completely would it be unsafe to burn.

Martin used Majestic vent pipe, so if you decide to replace the unit, my suggestion would be to go with a Majestic or Monessen unit to save on piping costs. Circulating units have provisions for a blower, but the blower must be purchased separately. Most units will allow you to burn with the doors closed, but in practice I have seen some glass panes shatter. As such, I personally recommend leaving the doors open. If you decide to replace the unit, I am assuming you would like to go back in with another 42 inch model? Please advise.

By Lydia from California on January 7, 2014
Which is the best free standing wood burning fireplace for a mobile home with the least installation problems and also the least expensive?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on January 7, 2014

FMI products makes a durable product that is fairly simple to install. An example of one of their most popular selling items is the FMI Bungalow - Builder 36 Inch Radiant Wood Burning Fireplace. This unit can be installed in a mobile home, as long as the outside air kit is used and the unit is anchored to the chassis.

By John from Port Clinton, OH on March 17, 2013
Are any wood burning fireplaces as efficient as inserts? Which ones?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on March 18, 2013

Only a handful of wood burning fireplaces are designed to have comparable efficiency to an insert. The units are closed combustion models that use a small firebox and limited combustion air to create an intense fire, much like the inserts. One model is the Flame Monaco XTD EPA Zero Clearance Wood Burning Fireplace. Another is the Majestic 36 Inch Royal Monarch Circulating Wood Burning Fireplace. Both of these units are designed to heat a large area and make efficient use of their fuel supply.

By Ron from Manitoba, Canada on July 26, 2014
I am looking for a zero tolerance wood burning fireplace. Where do I find these on your site?
By Tyler M. on July 28, 2014

This entire category consists of zero clearance woodburning fireplaces that can be installed directly on a wood platform. Various models have differences in the clearances required around the back and sides of each unit; you can see the owner's manual for each fireplace on the individual item pages.

By John Wisniewski from St. Louis, MO on December 12, 2012
When you say a 36 inch or 42 inch, what is that in reference to? The width or height of the actual opening? I would need a zero clearance with a chimney pipe and everything. Do you have what I would need to put it on the roof? And does the chimney pipe have to be straight, or can it have an elbow?
By Tyler M. - Fireplace Specialist on December 13, 2012

The "36" and "42" usually refer to the opening width of the fireplace, though in some cases it may be the total width.

We do indeed stock all the necessary venting components for all of our wood-burning fireplaces. Yes, you can offset the Class A chimney pipe with 30-degree elbows if needed. If you are interested, please let us know what model(s) you are interested in and fill out our Chimney Pipe Design & Quote Form.

By Brooke from NC on January 31, 2014
What is your return policy?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on January 31, 2014

In regards to wood burning units, any unit purchased can be returned within 30 days of purchase. If the unit must be repacked or reconditioned, a 15% restocking fee will be levied. The original outbound freight will be deducted from your credit. We can help arrange freight return of the unit as well. Return freight cost would be deducted from your credit in that case.

By John from Plano, TX on October 21, 2014
I need a pass thru wood burning fireplace. What would you recommend?
By eFireplaceStore on October 21, 2014

One of our most popular see through wood burning units is the FMI Windsor 36 Inch See Thru Woodburning Fireplace. The unit can be equipped with glass doors if you wish and uses the FMI air cooled chimney components listed under the venting component tab on the item page.

By Barton from Louisville, KY on January 30, 2015
What is the difference between the Monessen Sovereign and the Royalton fireplaces?
By eFireplaceStore on January 30, 2015

The two units follow very much the same interior hearth dimensions, but the Sovereign has a taller opening than the Royalton. The Royalton has an opening height of 19 3/4 inches, while the Sovereign is 22 3/4 inches tall.

By Dave from Scottsburg, ID on November 16, 2014
I have a square hole in the bottom of my fireplace that has a slab over it and it goes down into my basement to another clean out. Is this a vent? Should I keep it covered when I have a fire going?
By Tyler M. on November 17, 2014

What you are describing is an ash dump. It is to be closed when burning a fire and then (if possible) used to sweep ash to the clean out below for ease of disposal.

By Alex from Broomall, PA on October 9, 2013
I am looking to add a gas fireplace in my living room, that is vent free. What is the difference between a smooth front and a louvered front? Which one is more efficient?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on October 9, 2013

A smooth front fireplace will have no external vents or louvers on the surrounding frame. This gives you the option to use noncombustible finishing material up to the opening of the unit, but a circulating fan cannot be used. A louver faced unit will allow for some natural convection of heat to occur, making the unit slightly more efficient. Thermal efficiency is greatly increased when a blower is installed. The downside to this design is that the louvers cannot be covered.

By Carl from San Jose, CA on September 2, 2014
I am looking for an EPA certified wood burning fire place. I see several that are "rated" but I need one that is actually certified. What do you recommend?
By Tyler M. on September 2, 2014

We do sell a few closed-combustion chamber woodburning fireplaces for an efficient means of heating a large area. Please see our best-selling EPA certified model here:

Flame Monaco XTD EPA Zero Clearance Wood Burning Fireplace

By Louis from Jamaica, VT on October 10, 2014
I am looking to replace my fireplace, which is 43 inches wide, with a fireplace that is also a wood burning stove which will give efficient heat. I would like something with double doors as opposed to a single door. What would you suggest?

By eFireplaceStore on October 13, 2014

What you are describing is essentially what the Superior WCT6840 Signature Series EPA Phase II Circulating Wood-Burning Fireplace is designed as. The unit is a close clearance fireplace that can be built into a 2 x 4 framed enclosure and features the efficiency of a wood stove but still retains the look of a fireplace. The unit is designed with a closed combustion stove chassis enclosed within an outer fireplace. This allows the unit to effectively heat up to 2,300 square feet of space. The unit also features double loading doors, unlike the smaller models being offered.

By Brian from Memphis, TN on January 15, 2014
How much more efficient is a "Circulating" fireplace vs a traditional "Radiant" fireplace? Also, are there ways of making a "Radiant" fireplace more efficient?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on January 15, 2014

Generally, circulating fireplaces benefit from a slight increase in thermal efficiency, although the steady state burn efficiency is exactly the same. The thermal efficiency difference is less than 10%. Unfortunately, both models of these units are largely intended for immediate radiant heat, and are not effective heating appliances. The best improvement that can be made is to use a grate heater, such as the Stoll 22 in. W x 20 in. D Grate Heater for Woodburning Applications. This product uses a special grate and heat exchanger system. The heated metal of the grate provides a zone of heater air in the exchanger tube, which is then forced into the room by the blower.

By Al from Windsor, Ontario, Canada on February 9, 2014
Are your wood burning fireplaces CSA (Canadian Standards Approved) approved?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on February 10, 2014

CSA typically only tests and labels gas fired appliances. As such, our wood burning products have not been tested or listed by them. Most of our wood burning products are tested and listed by UL, OMNI, or PFS. Most units also carry an ICC number, which is often required to be accepted by local code enforcement in both Canada and the U.S.

By gene from Rancho Tehama, CA on October 30, 2012
What wood-burning fireplaces can be mounted in the garage with the hearth in the living room?
By Tyler M. - Fireplace Specialist on October 30, 2012

We have a few closed-combustion chamber models that combine efficiency with the capability to provide heat to a large home. For example, please see the Napoleon Prestige NZ-26 , the Osburn Stratford or the Napoleon NZ3000. By the way, the owner's manuals for each of those items can be downloaded on each of those pages.

By Herman from AR on January 15, 2014
Our wood fireplace has white rough textured bricks. What do you suggest to clean the soot off the bricks?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on January 15, 2014

The cleaner Scrubbing Bubbles does an excellent job removing soot from various masonry surfaces. It is necessary to use a spray bottle of water to remove any chemical residual that may be left after the cleaner is used.

By Len from TN on January 20, 2016
I would like to install a wood burning fireplace in my home. I do not have a stone, brick, or clay chase for the venting tubes to travel through. Can I frame a chase from 2x4 construction all the way to the roof for the venting to pass through?
By Chris C. on January 21, 2016

Even without a masonry chimney in place, you can indeed have a prefabricated wood burning fireplace installed with a prefabricated chimney system. The fireplace itself would be framed into an opening using common lumber framing, as well as the chase to house the chimney pipe could be constructed from lumber framing as well. The fireplace clearance requirements are outlined very well in the owner's manual for each fireplace, as well as the clearance requirements for the chimney pipe itself. Most wood burning fireplaces we carry offer a zero clearance design allowing you to secure the fireplace itself directly to the framed opening with nailing flanges that run along the left and right hand side of the fireplace. Most manufacturers utilize stand off spacers along the top of the fireplace to ensure that the header does not come too close to the top of the fireplace itself. When the chimney pipe is installed, it commonly will require a clearance to combustible framing of only 2". Please feel free to call us or simply reply to this email if you have any additional questions.

By Brian from Cadiz, KY on January 15, 2014
I am wanting to install a zero clearance wood burning fireplace in a cabin that doesn't already have one. Could you suggest some options (good, better, best) that would allow me to have the ambiance of a traditional fireplace along with increased heating efficiency? Once again, I do not plan on heating my house with the unit but would love to have something as a back up source of heat in an emergency situation.
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on January 15, 2014

I will be happy to suggest a few options for your needs. To begin, a standard unit such as the FMI Bungalow - Builder 36 Inch Circulating Wood Burning Fireplace is an improvement over a radiant model. I highly suggest adding a circulating fan to induce convection and increase efficiency. A step up from this model is a unit such as the Monessen Biltmore Radiant Wood-Burning Fireplace with Firebrick Liner - 38 Inch. This unit's tall opening and fabricated smoke shelf help to increase the transfer of radiant heat to the room and allow it to function more like a masonry fireplace. The best option is a unit such as the FMI Georgian 36 Inch Smooth Face Mosaic Masonry Woodburning Fireplace. In addition to a smoke chamber, this unit uses authentic firebrick which absorbs the energy that would normally be lost to the chimney system and radiates it back into the room.

By Mollie from Rancho Cucamonga, CA on December 3, 2014
I currently have a wood burning fireplace that needs replacing. The current model is a Superior RD-3800-A with a fireplace number AG 516307. What would be a good replacement?
By eFireplaceStore on December 3, 2014

A product with very similar dimensions and the exact same size chimney system is the Superior WRT3036 Pro Series 36" Radiant Wood-Burning Fireplace. Because of the close size, the unit would require little reframing to fit. The chimney system is a different series and would have to be replaced as well, but the sizing being the same will prevent you from having to cut or modify anything to install the new chimney.

By John from Georgetown, KY on January 30, 2013
I am looking for a Temco fireplace blower. I know Temco is no longer in business. The Temco number is BL-1. Can I buy an aftermarket blower, and what is the Monessen number?

By Tyler M. - Fireplace Specialist on January 30, 2013

Per Monessen, you can indeed replace your Temco BL-1 blower with the FK12 model.

By Jason from Santa Rosa, CA on January 1, 2014
I have a wood / gas fireplace. I am tired of not being able to use my fireplace when our air quality district calls a spare the air alert and ban fireplace use when the air gets stagnant. I was wondering if someone could recommend a log or logs that I could use with the gas, so I could use my wood / gas fireplace like a gas insert fireplace. Can you help?
By Tyler M. - NFI Certified Specialist on January 2, 2014

We offer a variety of vented gas log sets and ventless gas log sets that you may be able to use, assuming your fireplace is either a masonry unit with a functional chimney or a manufactured unit that has been tested and listed for use with a gas appliance. Our complete gas log sets do indeed include everything needed for installation - burner, logs, grate, embers, etc. However, we do also offer log sets by themselves (no burner or other parts) and burners by themselves (no logs or pilot kits). Please reply with your full fireplace dimensions, as well as how you would like to control your log set (remote control, thermostat, wall switch), and we will be happy to offer recommendations. Also, please let us know if you want a standing pilot kit (millivolt) or an electronic pilot kit (no standing pilot, battery-operated). We look forward to your response.

By Kurt from Owasso, OK on September 23, 2013
What is the difference in quality in the Vantage 42 inch Smoothface and the FMI Craftman all in one 42 inch?

By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on September 24, 2013

Both units are produced by the same manufacturer in the same facility. As such, their assembly process is very much the same and they will feature the same level of quality. The primary differences between the units is the liner styles that are available and slight changes in the facade of each unit.

By Doug from Lake Havasu City, AZ on November 29, 2014
I have a cracked section in the rear panel in my Preway fireplace. I am looking to replace it, model # BE411 AP BS. I am having some trouble finding anything on this fireplace though. Do you know where I could find replacement panels for my fireplace?
By eFireplaceStore on November 30, 2014

Preway was an excellent manufacturer of fireplaces but they declared bankruptcy. We do not carry replacement parts specific to this brand, but the Hargrove Replacement Fireplace Refractory Panel - 24 inch X 28 inch can be cut with a circular saw equipped with a masonry blade and installed in place of the original panel.

By Amanda from MI on December 21, 2015
What is the difference between circulating and an all in one circulating fireplace? Is a radiant or circulating fireplace the best choice for a sunroom? I am interested in a wood burning fireplace.
By eFireplaceStore on December 22, 2015

A circulating unit will have louvers on the face to increase convection. A fan can also be added to increase circulation. The louvers cannot be covered however. The all in one model uses the same louvers, but they can be covered if they are not used. A circulating unit would be good for a room that is larger than approximately 12 by 12, as it will push the heat further into the room.

By Michael from Rancho Cucamonga, CA on October 22, 2014
I have a wood burning fireplace with a gas ignition which is used a lot during the winter months . The fireplace needs replacing and I am not sure of the replacement model. The current model number is D-3800A and the fireplace number is is 46516307. What would you suggest?
By eFireplaceStore on October 22, 2014

The model you have currently is an old Superior box. A similarly sized model that we sell quite a few of is the Monessen Royalton Heat Circulating Wood-Burning Fireplace - 36 Inch. This model has the ability to use a gas starter like you have now, as well as the option to add a fan for air circulation.

By RK from VA on April 5, 2014
My father and I are building a simple log cabin on our farm that will not have electricity. What is the best type of wood burning fireplace for such a situation?
By Tyler M. - NFI Certified Specialist on April 7, 2014

Any of our decorative, open-faced woodburning fireplaces would be suitable for use in your cabin. The closed-combustion chamber models include blowers that require electricity, so those would not be an option for you.

By Tim from KS on April 5, 2014
I have your PN-36A penninsula fireplace. It is completely installed with the framing complete around the flue pipe. My question is, where the sheetrock comes down from the framing and butts atop the fireplace box there are tabs formed up all around the top of the box. Is there some method devised to fasten the sheetrock to the top of the box via these tabs?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on April 7, 2014

Per the manufacturer, the drywall does not have to be screwed into the tabs that run the perimeter of the unit. The tabs are simply meant to hold the drywall in the correct position, flush against the face of the unit, without flexing inward. It is possible to use construction adhesive to hold the drywall in place against the tabs to prevent it bowing outwards.

By Charles from Wendell on January 22, 2013
I have a stone fireplace with measurements of 37 3/4 wide by 28. What size unit should I purchase?
By Tyler M. - Fireplace Specialist on January 23, 2013

It appears you need a fireplace insert--a unit that would slide inside your existing fireplace and utilize an existing chimney. If this is the case, please advise if you would prefer a woodburning insert or a gas (direct vent or vent-free) insert. For more information, please see our Fireplace Insert Buying Guide. Please reply with your preferences, as well as the height of your existing chimney, and we would be happy to offer some recommendations with everything you would need for installation.

By Kim from Alabama on February 11, 2014
I have a large double wide mobile home and was wondering if you had a wood burning fireplace that is good for heating and would pass most codes for carrying insurance on the home and not too hard on the wallet?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on February 11, 2014

Unfortunately, wood burning fireplaces are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of capability and price. We offer several models that are lower cost, but they are primarily for immediate supplemental heat and cannot provide enough output for adjacent rooms. Closed combustion models that offer enough heat to warm the entire home are available, but the cost is usually over 2k for these models.

You may consider using a wood burning stove instead. A model such as the Drolet Eldorado Small Wood Stove With Blower Included - DB02650 is mobile home approved and can provide supplemental heat to approximately 1,500 square feet of area. It is also able to offer much longer burn times and less fuel consumption over a fireplace.

By Nancy from perkins,ok on January 13, 2013
We have a vent less natural gas log fireplace, and would like to put in a wood burning insert. Is that going to be possible? The dimensions of our fireplace opening is 21-1/4 x 36 and depth is 17 inches.
By Kevin E. - Fireplace Specialist on January 14, 2013

Unfortunately, not. Wood burning inserts may only be installed into full masonry, wood burning fireplaces or specifically approved pre-fabricated wood burning appliances.

By Jaimie from Wilmington, NC on February 9, 2015
I'm in the process of building a new house in NC that will include a per-fabricated wood burning fireplace in the living room which measure 18' x 20'. Our biggest concerns are proper ventilation and efficient heating. What fireplace would you recommend?
By eFireplaceStore on February 10, 2015

If heating is the goal, I recommend going with a closed combustion appliance and using an outside air combustion kit to allow a steady air supply to the unit, which will prevent draw issues. By far our most popular model in this category is the Flame Monaco XTD EPA Zero Clearance Wood Burning Fireplace. Unlike open faced wood burning appliances, this unit functions more like a wood stove, drawing a very limited amount of combustion air and offering a slower, controlled burn.

The unit normally draws combustion air from the room, but has the ability to be blocked off and pull air from the outdoors. Since most new homes are tightly insulated and do not allow for any air changeover, outdoor combustion air will prevent the unit from smoking.

By Carrie from Cincinnati on February 11, 2013
What is the function of the rear panel - to aid in reflection of heat into the room or something more, such that it is essential for the safe operation of the fireplace? It is my understanding that these panels are primarily for aesthetics and heat reflection vs. safe operation of the unit.

By Tyler M. - Fireplace Specialist on February 12, 2013

The panels serve to refract the heat from the firebox out into the room, and they are necessary for safe operation of a woodburning fireplace. Please see our Rutland Masonry Fireplace Patch for reference in repairing these panels.

By Mallika from Ellicott City on January 3, 2014
I'm looking for a modern wood burning fireplace unit with a screen. I would like a 46" wide look if possible. Do you have any suggestions?
By Tyler M. - NFI Certified Specialist on January 3, 2014

Yes, we have a very nice-looking open-faced woodburning fireplace that fits that description:

Monessen Biltmore Radiant Wood-Burning Fireplace with Firebrick Liner - 44 Inch

That unit is also available in a 50" model.

By James from East Dublin, GA on March 29, 2016
I have the Monaco zero clearance wood burning stove with 6 inch triple DuraVent chimney. Is it OK to burn the chimney sweeping logs to maintain the chimney?
By Will M. on March 29, 2016

While you may not burn any manufactured logs made with impregnated wax or chemical additives as this will clog the secondary air tubes in any high efficiency wood stove or fireplace, most chimney sweeper logs are approved for use with high efficiency wood stoves. You will need to check the labeling of the logs to ensure this will be acceptable for use in your Flame Monaco and this should only be used as a preventative measure and not a substitute for annual cleanings.

By Matthew from Napa Valley, Northern California on January 9, 2014
I just bought a house and it has a traditional open hearth fireplace. I just had it inspected and the report comes back that it is unsafe for use. There are missing mortars, cracks, and warped top places that would allow fire to get behind the front row of brick. Just seems like a disaster waiting to happen if I tried to use the fireplace.

Is there any form of "insert" that I can put into this fireplace and basically give it a new firebox and flue up the existing cracked brick chimney and thereby allow me to have a functional open fireplace? I know I can get an insert and have a "closed" firebox with a glass door, but that's not what I want. I want a true "open" fireplace. Is that possible? I want some form of insert that basically becomes a liner. Can you help?

I figured you guys would know what could or could not be done.
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on January 9, 2014

While I do understand the concept you are going for, I am afraid that this sort of product does not exist. All inserts that are produced are designed with a closed front that cannot be changed. It will likely be best to have a professional mason access the fireplace to see what can be done. It is likely that the fireplace can be repaired and the interior parged with a new layer of mortar. The chimney can also be relined with a new steel liner. These repairs would allow you to use the fireplace again as an open wood burner.

By James from Phoenix, AZ on April 29, 2013
Do you have an insert that looks more like real brick for a Majestic Fireplace, Model BR42?
By Tyler M. - NFI Certified Specialist on April 30, 2013

The only other option for your woodburning fireplace that we can offer are our universal refractory panels. These are gray with a stacked brick pattern. Please see the following links:

One 24"h x 28"w Panel

Two 24" h x 40"w Panels

These panels are about 3/4" thick and can be cut down to the size you need with a masonry blade or tile saw. They are suitable for use as side, rear and floor panels inside any manufactured woodburning fireplace.

By Sharon from Las Vegas, NV on January 23, 2013
I have a gas fireplace that I would like to close the gas and take out the rocks and do wood burning. My vent opening is approximately 6 inches, and I have an opening on the right side. Can I do it and what needs to be done?
By Chris on January 23, 2013

Being that a wood burning fire generates a much greater amount of heat than a gas fireplace, I would not recommend using a gas fireplace to burn wood. The firebox and flue pipe itself is not rated to handle the heat produced by a wood fire. You may need to remove the gas fireplace, and re install a true wood burning firebox.

By Ben from Juliette, GA on June 19, 2013
Does anyone manufacture a remote controlled starter for a propane starter under wood logs?
By Tyler M. - NFI Certified Specialist on June 20, 2013

Unfortunately, we do not offer any remote-operated log lighters, only the standard models that must be manually lit. You can see our full selection in the Fire Starters section on this website.

By Frank from Florence, KY on November 17, 2014
We are having an addition built onto our home. The room will be about 19' by 17'. The plan is to add a fireplace in this room and we are trying to decide if a zero clearance fireplace or a more traditional open hearth fireplace would be a better choice for us. We would like to be able to sit and listen to the fire crackle but would also like the heating efficiency of the zero clearance style. Are there any models that you can suggest that may be a good compromise?
By eFireplaceStore on November 18, 2014

The best compromise between the two types will be a Monessen WMC WarmMajic Heat Circulating Wood-Burning Fireplace with Black Doors - 42 Inch. The unit features a higher efficiency firebox than other models and includes a heat circulating blower, but the doors can also be opened on this model, allowing for greater ambiance.

By jim McKenney from Hubbardston, MA on May 28, 2015
looking for a corner zero clearance fireplace for my off-grid cabin in maine. need to place in an inside corner. Is it possible to vent thru side wall or does it need to go up thru roof. what are my options? thanks, Jim
By Will M. on May 29, 2015

I am assuming you are simply installing this fireplace in a corner. If this is the case, any wood burning appliance will have to vent through the roof to a point where the chimney is three feet over the highest point of the roof cutout and at least two feet over any obstruction within 10 feet measured horizontally. If you are truly looking to heat the whole cabin and are attempting to be "off the grid," typical prefabricated wood burning fireplaces may not be the best option as appliances listed to UL 127 are considered decorative appliances and will only provide radiant heat to the room they are installed in. What I would recommend is an EPA Phase II zero clearance wood burning fireplace that can be framed in like a fireplace, but has the heating capacity of a wood stove. These are closed combustion appliances that feature baffling and secondary air tubes in the combustion chamber to provide the maximum heating capacity and efficiency of a wood stove. In addition to this, some models like the Flame Monaco XTD EPA Zero Clearance Wood Burning Fireplace offer creative options that will provide heating to adjacent rooms and separate portions of the home as far as 50 feet away from the fireplace via flexible ducting. While this option will require power for operation, this model also offers the option of gravity venting to adjacent rooms which will require no power. You can view our selection of EPA Certified Zero Clearance Fireplaces here.

By rick charlton from Chico, CA on November 21, 2012
Is the Vantage Hearth value line series 42" circulating wood burning fireplace with stamped louvers & full insulation California approved?
By Tyler M. - Fireplace Specialist on November 21, 2012

Typically, open-faced inefficient wood-burning fireplaces such as the Vantage Hearth Value Line series are not permitted for installation in California. We recommend checking with your local building inspector to be sure.

By Chris from Windham, NH on July 15, 2014
Good afternoon. I am looking for zero clearance wood burning fireplace inserts only. Can you tell me which models you sell that fit that criteria?

By Tyler M. on July 15, 2014

We do sell a few closed-combustion chamber woodburning fireplaces for an efficient means of heating a large area. Please see a few examples below:

Flame Monaco XTD EPA Zero Clearance Wood Burning Fireplace

Majestic 36 Inch Royal Monarch Circulating Wood Burning Fireplace

Napoleon Prestige NZ-26 Wood Burning Fireplace

Napoleon NZ3000 High Country Wood Burning Fireplace

Napoleon NZ6000 High Country Wood Burning Fireplace

Please let us know if you have any questions about any of these models. If you want a full quote for either fireplace with its required chimney pipe, please fill out our Chimney Pipe Design & Quote Form, or simply reply to this email with basic information (height needed, offsets, roof pitch, etc.) and a shipping zip code.

By Billy from Texas on November 10, 2013
I'm looking for a wood burning fireplace for a small mobile home. What is the best recommendation?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on November 11, 2013

For smaller applications, a unit such as the FMI Bungalow - Builder 36 Inch Radiant Wood Burning Fireplace - Smooth Face could work. This unit can be equipped with an outside air kit and glass doors to make it meet approval for mobile home codes.

By Cindi from Omaha, NE on October 12, 2014
I have a Superior BCF-3885 fireplace insert. We burn wood and have gas to the fireplace so we can light it with a match. We would like to change over to a gas log of some sort. Is this possible in the model? We have glass doors. It says it is fireplace #Z-85556, Model #BCF3885.
By Will M. on October 13, 2014

While you should never operate a gas log set with the doors closed, this fireplace is approved for use with a vented or vent free log set.

By Udall from Washington, DC on November 20, 2013
I'm looking at purchasing a home that does not have a fireplace. How difficult and costly will it be to put in a woodburning fireplace?
By Tyler M. - NFI Certified Specialist on November 21, 2013

Depending on the layout of the home, installing a decorative woodburning fireplace is relatively simple. You can either frame it into an existing wall or build a wooden enclosure for it and of course allow for the required chimney pipe to run vertically over the roof. Please browse our selection and let us know if you have installation questions about any of our models.

By Linda from Lancaster, CA on October 13, 2014
I would like to put a fireplace in my mobile home that is 1300 square feet. Do you have a pellet stove that would work for my home?
By Will M. on October 13, 2014

By Jill from Lake Placid, NY on September 25, 2013
I am looking to buy a fireplace next week. What is the difference between the circulating fireplaces and the radiant models?
By Tyler M. - NFI Certified Specialist on September 25, 2013

The circulating woodburning fireplaces have louvers above and below the firebox opening. Room air enters the fireplace through the lower louvers and is heated by the fire in the firebox, then the air is circulated back into the room through the upper louvers. These models can utilize a blower fan to force the air out into the room with a little more speed and efficiency. These blowers are usually purchased separately and can be found in the "Accessories" tab on the circulating fireplaces' item pages. Radiant woodburning fireplace models feature a smooth or flush face, and these units do not have louvers or an option to add a blower fan. Heat radiates from the firebox opening into the room. These models can have noncombustible facing such as tile or brick built over the face of the fireplace up to the actual opening, which can create a more contemporary look with only the firebox itself visible.

By Yolanda from Land O Lakes, FL on September 6, 2014
I have a two story home and I am looking to add a see thru fireplace (preferably wood burning) on the first floor between my dining room and family room. My question is, does it have to vent completely vertical through the second story or is there a way to vent through to the side exterior wall which is approximately 4ft from where I would the fireplace placed? If not, what type of fireplace would you recommend that would prevent going through the second story that would still provide some heat?
By eFireplaceStore on September 8, 2014

Because of potential issues with loss of draft and buildup of creosote in the vent pipe, wood burning units are limited to an offset of 30 degrees and cannot be vented or terminated horizontally.

The best model for your installation would be a direct vent gas fireplace. These units use a sealed firebox and draw their air from the outdoors for combustion. They offer very good efficiency and would far outperform a wood burning model. They are also very versatile and could be terminated horizontally as you require. A very popular see through model that can heat approximately 800 square feet and that could be vented as needed is the Empire Tahoe Premium Direct Vent Natural Gas See-Thru Fireplace - 36".

By Sandy from Davisburg, MI on August 16, 2014
Can I put cultured stone over the black metal surround of a wood burning fireplace?
By eFireplaceStore on August 18, 2014

If you are referring to a prefabricated fireplace built into a combustible wall, you can indeed cover the metal facing with a noncombustible veneer. However, if the unit has louvers on the facing, they cannot be covered.

A wood burning fireplace insert will be the type of unit that is slid into an existing fireplace opening. This type will have a metal surround that must be installed to complete the unit. Because these units must be periodically removed for servicing, the surround should not be covered.

By Cynthia Johnson from Shreveport, LA on April 8, 2014
What's the best type of wood to use?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on April 9, 2014

It is always best to burn a well seasoned hardwood, as they have higher density and thus provide a higher BTU output. Common species that are good performers are Red Oak, White Oak, Apple, Pear, Locust, Hickory, Beech, and Alder. These species burn slowly and evenly. As a rule, you should avoid softwoods such as Pine, Spruce, and Sycamore. Most species of conifers do not make good firewood. These types actually burn very hot, but the fuel supply burns quickly and releases a good deal of pitch during combustion, requiring more frequent cleaning of the chimney.

By Debbie from Summerfield, NC on March 5, 2016
I am looking for a replacement refractory panel for a Majestic AF 706999 wood burning fireplace. The panel measures 19" x 21". Can you help me?
By eFireplaceStore on March 7, 2016

This is an older model of Majestic and I'm afraid that we can no longer obtain the original panels. The closest product we will carry is a universal panel that can be cut to fit. An example is the Hargrove Replacement Fireplace Refractory Panel - 24 inch X 28 inch.

By Matthew from East Northport, NY on February 6, 2016
I have a fireplace that I want to redo the brick on the front. I am thinking that I need a new insert to make the fireplace look finished. I have attached a picture of fireplace here. The size is 34.5" wide and about 28" high.

The fireplace has a flu already- I am just not sure on the following:
- Do I need an insert? What would you recommend?
- What if I have a Flu already- how does that work?
By eFireplaceStore on February 8, 2016

From the attached photo, it appears you have a traditional masonry fireplace constructed with fairly common medium or high density firebrick. From what I can see, it appears the interior brick is in relatively good condition. There is not an "insert" per say that could be installed into the current box and still retain the open look of the fireplace. If the goal is to improve the look of the firebox interior, it could be skimmed with a refractory mortar to cover the brick and give a uniform appearance. A product like the AW Perkins Castable Refractory Cement - 50 lb. Tub would work well for you. If the original flu is in good condition, it may not need anything more than a good cleaning to be put back into service.

By Bill from Denison, TX on April 11, 2013
What is the difference between a firebrick liner and a standard refractory firebrick?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on April 12, 2013

A firebrick liner and refractory firebrick refer to the same thing in most cases. Both descriptions are usually referring to concrete liner panels that are stamped and dyed to give the appearance of real firebrick. On some units, the liner uses real firebricks and mortar, to give the appearance of a true masonry fireplace. FMI's "mosaic masonry" line of fireplaces is a good example of this. These units tend to be more expensive, but do a superior job of radiating heat and offer a better appearance.

By Neil from Vancouver, WA on August 27, 2014
Do you have zero clearance fireplaces that are Washington State Certified models?
By eFireplaceStore on August 27, 2014

The only model that falls into this category is the Flame Monaco XTD EPA Zero Clearance Wood Burning Fireplace. This model is 50 state certified and happens to be one of our most popular high efficiency wood burners in any category. The high build quality and consistent ability for them to heat beyond their stated capacity has made these models well liked by past customers.

By Betty from Throckmorton, TX on December 23, 2015
Can Hackberry wood be burned in a wood burning stove?
By Will M. on December 23, 2015

When properly seasoned, hackberry wood is almost identical to elm and you should expect a similar qualities and heating value. It is considered a good wood to burn overall, but can be prone to rotting. I would not suggest burning this wood as it nears two years of seasoning as this will create creosote and excessive smoke, leaving a dirty stove and creosote-filled chimney. As is the case with all wood for burning, please stack the wood off the ground and cover the top two thirds with a tarp and let this wood sit for at least 6 months prior to burning. I would suggest purchasing a Moisture Meter to ensure that the wood you intend to burn has between 15% and 20% moisture content.

By Hal from Eugene, OR on December 15, 2014
I need a wood fire starter for my fireplace. The one I have is cast iron that you pour kerosene in and put under the logs. The one I have is broken. It is about 8 inches by 4 inches. Do you carry this or something close to it?

By eFireplaceStore on December 16, 2014

While not the exact same size, a close match is the Uniflame Black Cast Iron Fire Starter Tray. The product works in the same fashion as your current model.

By Annette from Dodson, LA on July 20, 2013
We have a wood burning fireplace that is single walled. When we had our chimney cleaned, they told us that it could be dangerous when a fire is lit, if the brick had a crack in it. What can we do to make our chimney safer?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on July 22, 2013

From your description, it sounds like relining the chimney with a stainless steel chimney liner will be the best option to pursue. We would need more information before we could direct you to a product, including the dimensions of the flue, the dimensions of the fireplace opening and if the chimney is single clay flue tile or chimney unlined brick.

By Eric from Lake George, CO on March 19, 2016
I want to put a 36" or 42" wood Burning fireplace in a corner of new construction. How much wall do I need on each side of the corner? I have a door I need to place but want to make sure I am not too close to the corner.
By eFireplaceStore on March 21, 2016

While it depends on the exact model of fireplace you go with, the average distance needed for one of our popular 36 inch models is 53 inches measured out from the corner of the wall, while the 42 inch models require 60 inches on average.

By Andrei from Palo Alto, CA on April 1, 2016
Can I have gas and wood burning all in one fireplace? Is this safe to do?
By Will M. on April 1, 2016

For wood fireplaces (excluding EPA Certified Zero Clearance Fireplaces), you may indeed install a gas log lighter to ignite a wood fire via a manual globe or ball valve located outside of the fireplace opening, however, this is only safe to use to light the fire and should be turned off after the fire is lit. If you were to install a gas log set, you would have to remove the log set, shut off the gas line and cap the iron pipe stub to return to wood burning.

By Diane from Lake Wales, FL on March 25, 2013
Do you have a grate with a blower for a wood burning fireplace?
By Dawn H. on March 26, 2013

By Jane from Raymond, MS on September 29, 2015
I have a Lennox Elite series 41 inch wood burning fireplace with crumbling, pre-fabricated wall panels. Do I need to replace the panels or can I brick over the existing panels? Do you carry the replacement panels for my fireplace?
By Brennan W. on September 29, 2015

We do not offer refractory panels that are specific to your fireplace model. However, we do offer universal refractory panels. They are manufactured by Hargrove, and we sell them single or in sets of two. Follow these links to see what we offer:

Hargrove Replacement Fireplace Refractory Panel - 24 inch X 28 inch

Hargrove Replacement Fireplace Refractory Panels - 24 inch X 40 inch - Set of 2

By Joe from Aldie, VA on October 7, 2014
I would like to get a 50 inch fireplace, but I don't know which of the following to get. What would you suggest?

By Chris C. on October 7, 2014

Both the Vantage Hearth and the Georgian are going to be very similar in design as they are manufactured by the same company. However, there are mosaic masonry units available for both of these units as well. The mosaic masonry fireplaces utilize true firebrick as opposed to refractory cement panels. The Biltmore would be my recommendation if you were not interested in the mosaic masonry units as it will carry a higher build quality.

By Gita from Denver, CO on February 25, 2014
I just bought a condo that was build in 1982 and has a wood burning fireplace. I don't know anything about it other than it's ugly and big (44"wx41h)! What are my options to make it look nicer and smaller? Thanks
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on February 26, 2014

Part of the black metal facing on the unit can be covered with noncombustible material, as long as the louvers are not covered as well. The unit is old enough otherwise that accessories are likely not available for it any longer.

By Tim from Linden, VA on January 25, 2013
I bought the Monessen 44" Biltmore wood burning fireplace from you about a year and a half ago. We love it but have been having a constant smoke-back issue, mainly from the front right of the fireplace. It is pretty much constant. We have an 18' vertical run of double wall CF chimney capped with your Majestic cap, #RLTCF11. It rises 5' about the roof and has nothing near it to impede draft. Our house is old and not air tight, so I know that is not the issue. Cracking a window does not make a difference. We love our fires, but the constant smoke makes us not want to have one. Do you have any ideas? Is this a problem common to the Monessens? Would a vacu-stack or wind-beater make a difference? Any info is very much appreciated. Thank you.
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on January 25, 2013

I apologize for the smoke spillage you are experiencing with your Biltmore. This is definitely not an issue that is common to the Monessen line, but does not mean it cannot happen. Too short a stack is usually the most common problem, but you are definitely beyond the minimum required height. You mention that the termination is 5 feet above the roof. Is this 5 feet above the peak or just through the roof decking? What is the pitch of the roof? Also, are there any other items running in the house that could compete with the unit, such as a whole house fan or furnace? Please advise at your convenience.

By JP from Russellville, AR on November 17, 2013
What is the difference between the Vantage Hearth value line and performance line?
By Chris on November 17, 2013

The performance line series of fireplaces are deeper and taller than the value line.

By Carol from GA on June 3, 2013
We need to replace the inside our wood burning Majestic fireplace. What part do we need and how can we determine what we should get?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on June 3, 2013

The components you describe are known as refractory liner panels. These components can be replaced with the original manufacturer panels, if they are still available. Otherwise, universal panels must be cut to fit. Majestic would usually include a model number on the build plate. The plate is usually located on the left or right side of the fireplace, just inside the opening and behind the screens. The other location is below the firebox floor, under the bottom hearth panel. If you are not able to locate the model number, a refractory panel set, such as the Hargrove Replacement Fireplace Refractory Panels - 24 inch X 40 inch - Set of 2 would be the next best option.

By Giuseppe from Albuquerque, NM on February 3, 2015
Do any of your wood burning fireplaces come with a brick colored refractory panel inside of them without louvers like the Heatilator Icon? I don't like the white looking brick.
By Tyler M. on February 3, 2015

Yes, we have a few models that may interest you. Please see the following:

FMI Georgian 36 Inch Smooth Faced Woodburning Fireplace

Monessen Biltmore Radiant Wood-Burning Fireplace with Firebrick Liner - 38 Inch

Both of these models are available in larger sizes, including 42", 44",and 50".

By Jack from Cumming , Georgia on October 20, 2013
I would like to put a fireplace in my basement. What is the best bet for function and personality in a finished basement room? Also, how could it be vented?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on October 21, 2013

Either a wood burning or gas fireplace could be used for this application. For a good compromise between efficiency and appearance, a closed combustion wood burning fireplace or direct vent gas fireplace can be used.

By Matt from Tampa, FL on September 16, 2014
I am in the process of having a cabana built in my back yard (in Florida). the structure will be covered (roofed) and have a wood-burning fireplace on one wall. Rather than build the fireplace with firebrick, we are looking to use a 36 inch wide fireplace insert that will stand up to the humidity in this environment. Can you provide any insight into options you have that would work best in this application? I would like something that has a more traditional-look
By eFireplaceStore on September 16, 2014

A very popular model for this application is the Vantage Hearth Laredo Wood-Burning Outdoor Fireplace with Warm Red Herringbone Brick Liner - 36 Inch. The 430 stainless steel construction will hold up well to humidity and will ensure the fireplace will maintain its structural integrity for years to come.

By Tom Killeen from Idyllwild ca on August 19, 2015
What is the largest (viewing area) zero clearance wood burning fireplaces that meets California epa standards? Brand and cost?
By Will M. on August 21, 2015

The Superior WCT6820 has a glass viewing area of 15" H x 31" W and has emissions of only 3.7 g/hr., which will not only meet current standards, but the new EPA requirements (starting Jan. 1st 2016) of under 4.5 g/hr for non-catalytic stoves.

By Doug from Portland, OR on September 15, 2015
I am interested in replacing an old wood stove with a wood burning fireplace. This project has raised two questions. First, is it possible to use a reducer with any of the 36" wood burning fireplaces to make use of a 6" wide chimney or do I need to replace the entire pipe? Second, the chimney pipe sits just over 17" back from where the front of the fireplace would be placed, most of the products have a pipe connection that is 11" to 14" from the front, is the solution here a couple of elbow joints or there another way to address this?
By Will M. on September 15, 2015

Prefabricated fireplaces and wood stoves use entirely different chimney systems. Switching from one to the other would require complete replacement of the chimney system as well.

By Thomas C. from Garner, NC on October 26, 2012
I'm looking for an insert for a wood-burning with fan 43-inch fireplace home built in 1969.
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on October 26, 2012

With a 43 inch opening, you would be able to use most wood burning inserts that we carry. However, you will also need to know the height and depth of the opening to be certain. Finally, what is the amount of square footage that you would like to heat?

By Jason from Charleston, WV on February 5, 2014
I have a manufactured fireplace in my main living room. This room is 25 by 30 feet with 25 foot ceilings. I was told by a local chimney sweep service that an insert was not an option for this fireplace. I wish to supplement my heat pumps with an efficient wood burning stove (preferably enclosed for safe night burning). There is currently a typical open fireplace. Any thoughts for upgrading this?

The local chimney sweep said I could remove everything (the current chimney is completely safe/ functional just not efficient) to install a new fireplace. They quoted 6-7 thousand if no wood work was needed. Do you have any more economical thoughts?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on February 6, 2014

If you are not opposed to having an additional appliance in the room, it may be a more economical route to install a free standing stove with a completely separate chimney. This will eliminate the expense of having to remove the existing fireplace and retrofitting the existing chimney for use with a wood stove. In addition, low cost single wall stovepipe can be used in the room, up to the ceiling.

Depending on the brand and model of your existing fireplace, you may also be able to replace it with a closed combustion fireplace, such as the Flame Monaco XTD EPA Zero Clearance Wood Burning Fireplace. If the chimney is compatible, it could be adapted to work with this built in model.

By Matthew from Dallas, TX on November 5, 2013
I currently have a Martin insert firebox Model SA42. I believe it has 8" flues. I am in the process of doing a fireplace remodel and want to convert to an actual wood burning firebox that is larger in capacity size than this box. I want to be able to burn actual wood and have a box that is larger than 36" in width and deeper than 13" (I believe that is the measurement). Is this possible without changing the flues? As per the contractor that will do the job, changing the flues requires removing/repairing walls and the cost is exorbitant. What information can you provide for me?
By Collin C. - NFI Master Hearth Professional on November 6, 2013

Unfortunately, changing the firebox will also require changing the Class A chimney piping in this case. In some instances, the existing chimney can be reused, if a larger box is available from the same manufacturer that uses the same chimney.

Martin is no longer in business and while their chimney system was the same diameter as other brands, the attachment method to the box is different. Class A chimney is very brand specific and is only listed for use with particular units. As such, it cannot be modified and mixing with other brands will void the warranty of the fireplace and cause issues if a problem should every arise requiring insurance involvement. I apologize for the bad news and wish there was away around this scenario.

By Albert from Cleveland, Ohio on June 14, 2014
I have a majestic MR42 serial# 96067973. Can I get a replacement grate for it?
By eFireplaceStore on June 16, 2014

Unfortunately, replacement parts for this model are no longer being offered. The unit was last produced in 1994 and the manufacturer has since gone through restructuring of their product line several times. As such, a universal replacement would have to be utilized. I no longer have information for the grate sizing on hand, but if you would like to provide dimensions of your current grate, I will be happy to look into a replacement for you.

By Alon from Norwalk, CT on January 18, 2016
I currently have a masonry wood burning fireplace on an outside wall of the home. Its opening is 36 inches wide, 28 high and is 21 deep. It is 25 wide in the back and its 7 inches upwards to the mantle piece.

What is the best option for me so that I can accomplish the following goals:
1) "feed" the fire with outside air, so it does not need to suck in cold air into other parts of the home.
2) have a system to extract the heat from the exhaust gasses, which currently just go up the chimney
By Will M. on January 19, 2016

The only option that will fulfill these requirements will be to install a Wood Burning Fireplace Insert as many will offer optional outside air and secondary air tubes that will introduce oxygen-rich outside air at the top of the firebox to burn away byproducts of combustion, essentially starting the combustion process over after the initial burn.

By Greg from Jersey County, IL on August 6, 2014
I am looking for a high efficiency fireplace for new construction that I would normally use propane as the fuel, but can easily be switched to burning wood in the event of an emergency. I want the convenience of propane under normal conditions, but the security of being able to harvest from my wooded land in the event of a shortage (or price hijacking) of propane like much of the country saw this past winter. In either case, propane or wood, the centrally located fireplace would serve as backup heat in a roughly 1800-2000 sq ft partially earthen home. What do you recommend?
By eFireplaceStore on August 7, 2014

While we do not offer a true "duel fuel" fireplace as you describe, the Monessen Royal Monarch Clean-Burn Heat Circulating Wood-Burning Fireplace - 36 Inch could technically be used in this way. The fireplace uses a sealed combustion chamber that draws intake air from the outdoors, using the outer air space of the triple wall chimney system it requires. This sealed chamber allows for generation of very high temperatures that could heat your space, if centrally located. An LP log lighter could be installed into the firebox, using the provisions for gas line knockouts. Because of the high temperatures this unit generates, I recommend using a stainless steel log lighter. Artificial logs could also be installed for appearance purposes, with the logs being removed when you switch to wood. The log lighter could continue to be used to assist in starting the wood fire as well.

By Josh from Powers, Michigan on November 17, 2013
We have an area that is 5 1/2 feet wide where we would like to install a wood burning fireplace. We want it to help heat our home but also be able to open it up like an old fashioned inefficient fireplace.
By Tyler M. - NFI Certified Specialist on November 18, 2013

In order to get the best of both preferences (heating capability and open-faced appearance), we recommend something like this:

FMI Georgian 36 Inch Smooth Face Mosaic Masonry Woodburning Fireplace

By John from Kansas City, MO on October 8, 2014
Can the circulating wood burning models use a fan?
By eFireplaceStore on October 8, 2014

The circulating models we carry can indeed use a fan to induce mechanical convection, in addition to using the appliance for standard gravity circulation.

By Steve from Louisville, KY on February 28, 2015
I have a Majestic M36 pre-fabricated fireplace and I want to upgrade a new one. Do I need a circulating or non-circulating fireplace? My andirons are 18" long and, right now, they stick out a little bit so I want a deep firebox. My understanding is the circulating fireplace has panels like what I have now like a box in a box but this makes the area to burn wood much shallower. What would you recommend?
By Chris C. on March 2, 2015

Both circulating and non-circulating (radiant) fireplaces utilize an air jacket separating the inner firebox from the outer chassis allowing clearances to be greatly reduced. The replacement of your fireplace with either a circulating or non-circulating model would be strictly up to the criteria you are looking for. A circulating model is usually sought after as you can have a blower assembly installed to circulate air around the box to slightly increase the heating efficiency of the fireplace. However, a radiant non-circulating model allows for a non-combustible finish material to be installed almost all the way up to the fireplace opening allowing for a less intrusive look with the black fireplace facing being shown. I have provided links to both a non-circulating and circulating model below to show the differences.

Superior WRT3042 Pro Series 42" Radiant Wood-Burning Fireplace
Superior 42" WCT 3000 Series All-in-One Circulating Woodburning Fireplace with Stamped Louvers - WCT3042RH

By Scott from Brunswick, OH on February 21, 2015
I am looking to upgrade the efficiency of my current fireplace and I am unsure of what my best options are. I currently have a Superior BCF-3885 in my family room which can heat the room but it sucks the heat from the rest of the house. What would you recommend?
By eFireplaceStore on February 23, 2015

For highest efficiency with a wood burning fireplace, the best option is to use a sealed combustion unit. This is essentially a wood burning stove encased within a fireplace chassis, which allows the unit to be built into the wall, as opposed to taking up floor space like a stove would. One of our most popular units in this category is the Flame Monaco XTD EPA Zero Clearance Wood Burning Fireplace.

By Mark from Altamonte Springs, FL on April 16, 2013
Where can we find someone to install our wood burning fireplace?
By Tyler M. - NFI Certified Specialist on April 16, 2013

For your reference, you may use the NFI (National Fireplace Institute) website to locate a local certified installer in your area. Their website is Once there, just click on the "Public" link on the right hand side and enter your zip code.

By Fred from Las Vegas, NV on January 6, 2016
How do you clean the smoke covered glass of a wood burning fireplace?
By Brennan W. on January 6, 2016

You would want to use a glass cleaning product such as AW Perkins Glass And Hearth Cleaner.

By James from East Dublin, GA on April 4, 2016
I have a Monaco wood burning fireplace with 6 inch triple Dura-Vent chimney. Is it OK to start fires with fat log lighters?
By eFireplaceStore on April 4, 2016

The manufacturer of this product allows the use of fat wood as a fire starter only.

By Ginny from Denver, CO on December 26, 2015
What is a good wood burning peninsula fireplace?
By Brennan W. on December 28, 2015

For a wood burning peninsula unit, we would suggest the Superior WRT40PF Custom Series 36" Radiant Peninsula Wood-Burning Fireplace.

By Shelton from Fort Worth, TX on March 21, 2016
I am looking for a factory termination cap for a DESA (V) G 36 (B) (P) , 12 and one half" inside diameter pipe 15 " outside pipe. MFG date 3/06?
By Tyler M. on March 22, 2016

Refine by
Shipping Options
Vent Type
Fuel Type
Fireplace Type
EPA Tax Credit
Max BTU Output
Specific Use
Sign Up for our Newsletter

Let Our Experts Design
Your Venting System


Find the Right Gas Logs
For Your Fireplace

Sign-up for our Email!
Enter your email for new arrivals and special offers.
Home About Us Contact Us Customer Service Order Status View Cart Fireplaces Fireplace Inserts Wood Stoves Gas Logs Mantels Fireplace Accessories Chimney Products Outdoor Fireplaces