I have not used my gas fireplace in a few years. I went to turn it on the other day and the gas valve only opened partially, and the flames were small. I retried with minimal flame output. Could it be clogged with spiderwebs or something?
I believe your fireplace likely needs service and cleaning. As you'd mentioned, insects tend to nest in small gas orifices and will create blockages that will need to be cleaned. Also, any gas fireplace that has gone unused for a lengthy period of time could have this problem due to air being trapped in the gas lines which will need to be bled.
on December 18, 2019